Walker hits five against Lochside

BUTE continued on their winning ways on Saturday at Ganavan Sands shinty park Oban against a robust Lochside Rovers team which left a few Bute players with niggling injuries before this week’s Balliemore cup final.

The playing surface at Ganavan was very tight compared to the wide spaces at the Meadows which meant Bute had to change their style of play. Bute started with David MacDonald at full forward with Robert Walker and Roberto Zavaroni playing on either side of him.

It took 35 minutes for Bute to breakdown the Lochside defence after Bute were awarded a free hit which was taken quickly by David MacDonald and found Roberto Zavaroni in space 20 yards from the goal who sent a well struck shot past the Lochside keeper. This caused a lot of unrest within the Lochside camp and the referee, which resulted in some harsh swinging and reckless tackles going in.

Bute’s halfbacks of Bryan Liddle and Iain MacDonald were sweeping up any dangers that the Lochside forwards posed, and were ably assisted by the Bute midfield of James Craig, Leighton Reid and David Whitelaw.

Bute were creating many good chances in front of the Lochside goal but were only 1 nil up at half time to show for their efforts.

Bute had the perfect start to the second half with Robert Walker opening his goal scoring account with a well struck shot from the right hand side of the D after good work on the left by Gordon McMillan and David Whitelaw.

Robert was then to continue to score goals at regular intervals throughout the second half leaving the Lochside defence in disarray with his shooting skills. David MacDonald and David Whitelaw allowed substitutes Joe Gibson and John Beattie to come on and take part in Bute’s convincing 6-0 win. Although Bute ran out easy winners they shouldn’t be too complacent when looking to this weekend’s Balliemore cup final.

* Please note all players and supporters travelling by coach to Skye are leaving on the one o’clock ferry to be met at Wemyss Bay by Allander Travel.