The work of Bute’s new ‘community sport hub’ is gathering pace, with a series of events and training courses being organised for the coming months.
The group, which is open to all individuals and organisations representing sports and sports clubs on the island, was set up earlier this year under the guidance of Jillian Gibson, the new ‘community sport hubs officer’ with Argyll and Bute Council.
Details of the courses and events taking place on the island over the next few months are as follows.
* Monday, November 11 (6-9pm @ Rothesay Joint Campus) - Positive Coaching Scotland, described as ‘a step towards a cultural shift in sport in Scotland by creating a positive environment for youth’. Places can be booked at Rothesay Leisure Centre (tel 01700 504300).
* Thursday, November 14 (6pm @ Rothesay Joint Campus) - ‘Facilities project’ meeting to discuss provision of additional changing and meeting facilities on the island.
* Sunday, November 24 (9am-5pm @ Rothesay Joint Campus) - First aid with sports injuries course. Places can be booked at Rothesay Leisure Centre.
* Monday, December 2 (6-9pm @ Rothesay Joint Campus) - Safeguarding and Protecting Children in Sport (what used to be known as ‘child protection’).
* Sunday, January 26 (10am-4pm @ Rothesay Joint Campus) - ‘Early Touches’ football coaching course (the first level for those coaching children aged under 13).
* Sunday, February 23 (10am-4pm @ Rothesay Joint Campus) - ‘Development Activities 1.1’ football coaching (as Early Touches but for those coaching children aged 13 and over).
In addition, early plans are being drawn up for a day-long Celebration of Sport and Sports Personality of the Year event, provisionally scheduled for Saturday, March 22, 2014.
Bookings for the courses from December onwards are not yet open but this should change soon: for more information on any of the courses above, or on the community sport hub in general, contact Jillian Gibson on 07747 118283 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.