Curling: Two defeats end Bute season on low note

Bute Curling Club's 2015-16 campaign ended with defeats in their last Greenock Day League fixture and the final Argyll Province competition of the season.
Bute Curling Club's 2015-16 campaign ended with defeats in their last Greenock Day League fixture and the final Argyll Province competition of the season.

Bute Curling Club’s season ended on a disappointing note with defeats in their last Argyll Province and Greenock Day League fixtures.

Bute’s final league match, at the Waterfront on March 16, saw Colin Sharp (skip), Bill Stein, Margaret MacLeod and John Middleton take on a Newark Ladies side skipped by Netta Green, hoping to repeat the success of their previous fixture against Dunoon.

Newark, however, made the better start to the game, taking the first end by two shots, but Bute levelled the score by picking up single shots at the next two ends.

Newark slipped ahead once more in the fourth end to lead 3-2, but a strong fifth end from Bute saw the island rink take three shots to open up a 5-3 advantage.

Had Bute played as strongly in the three ends that remained, victory might well have beckoned, but instead it was Newark who won all the remaining ends, adding four shots to their tally to finish victors by seven shots to five.

As the Greenock Day League drew to a close it was clear that Port Glasgow 2 had won this season’s championship.

With one more competition - the Argyll Province’s Last Byte Trophy - to play for, a Bute rink once again headed to Greenock for a day of curling, competing alongside Dunoon Argyll, Dunoon Ladies, Glenorchy, Millport, Oban and Upper Cowal, with the island club this time represented by Donnie MacLeod (skip), Donald Kinnear, Colin Sharp and Margaret MacLeod.

Bute’s first game in the round-robin competition saw them drawn against Dunoon Argyll, and though Donnie’s rink took the first end by a single shot, their opponents recovered well to take single shots of their own at the next two ends for a 2-1 victory.

Bute lost their second game, against Dunoon Ladies, by four shots to two, while Upper Cowal took the honours in Bute’s third game, winning 2-1.

In their final game against Glenorchy, things looked very bleak for a Bute team who went into the final end trailing 5-0, but the island team did at least manage to add some respectability to the final score when they put three shots on the board at the last end.

Despite that late rally, it would be fair to say Bute’s performance in the competition was not their finest!

At the conclusion of the competition, all those involved adjourned to the Waterfront’s function suite for the Province’s AGM and the presentation of the season’s prizes.

President Graham Innes (Oban) chaired the meeting and gave a report of the year’s activities before stepping down as chair and handing over to Jean Laird of Dunoon Ladies, who took over as president of the Argyll Province for the coming year.

Bute’s Margaret MacLeod agreed to take over as vice-president, and was asked to present the trophies won throughout the year.

The last events of the season for Bute’s curlers are the local club’s AGM, to be held on Monday, April 4 at 7pm in the Port Inn, and the club’s annual dinner and prizegiving, which will be held this year in the Victoria Hotel in Rothesay on Saturday, April 23.