Danes forced to settle for point from thriller

Share this article

ROTHESAY Brandane had to settle for a share of the spoils after a thrilling 5-5 draw away to Symington Tinto on Saturday - but the result will feel like a defeat after the island team twice let a two-goal lead slip through their fingers, allowing the home side to pick up only their fifth point of the campaign.

The game was just three minutes old when the Brandanes opened the scoring, with Graham Crawford nodding home Stuart McKechnie’s corner – and two minutes later Pattison doubled the visitors’ advantage when he picked the ball up on the far side, cut inside and curled the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Crawford should have made it 3-0 inside ten minutes but put the ball past the post from three yards out in a real contender for ‘miss of the season’.

And the visitors’ positive mood was cut short when Symington’s number 11 stole in behind the Danes defence and got a toe to the ball to divert it into the net on 16 minutes.

And just before the half-hour mark Symington were level when a great through ball split the Rothesay defence and allowed the hosts’ number ten to slip it into the net.

However, things were to get even worse for the islanders before the break as the same Symington player curled a free kick up and over the Danes’ defensive wall and into the net to give the home side a 3-2 interval lead.

Whatever was said in the Danes’ half-time huddle certainly had the desired effect, though, as the visitors were level within a minute of the restart, Selkirk taking full advantage as the ball broke to him outside the box to fire a shot low and hard across the keeper and into the net.

That goal meant the islanders now had the edge, and they regained the lead on 73 minutes when Selkirk rifled his second of the day into the roof of the net from a Pattison cross.

And three minutes later the Rothesay men extended their lead with a brilliant effort from Pattison, who found himself in space and emphatically struck home to make it 5-3

But Symington refused to lie down, and with five minutes to go the hosts’ number ten completed his hat-trick when he broke free on the edge of the box and drilled the ball into the corner of the net.

And just 60 seconds later the Danes conceded a soft throw-in which was then crossed into the danger zone, where Symington’s number 12 tapped the equaliser into the net.

The Danes could have snatched full points in the dying minutes, but Neil Whitelaw came up with a rival to Crawford’s early contender for ‘miss of the year’ when he sent the ball high over the bar in front of an open goal.

This Saturday, May 28, the Brandanes play their final league game of the season at home to Drumchapel FP, with a 2.30pm kick-off.