Bute Youth Football boys take on league leaders


The lads from Bute Youth Football coaching fought a hard away game, with the smallest squad of the season so far last week, writes coach Roddie Leitch.

With only 13 boys travelling it was always going to be a tough test for the players.

After what has been a hard week for the club, being fined and deducted three points after the Johnstone Burgh fiasco last month, the boys could have been forgiven for throwing it in and folding, but they got up, dusted themselves off and got right back into it.

Eastwood showed their class in the opening minutes; with their passing and movement, Bute really couldn’t get anywhere near the ball, and it was in the tenth minute that a free kick was whipped into BYFC area and the flick on found the top right hand corner.

Just ten minutes later saw a six-yard scramble inside Bute’s box, and the ball was lashed home after a fine double save from Ryan.

At this stage you have to fear the worst - a bad week, away to the league leaders, smallest squad of the season and 2-0 down after only 20 minutes, but somehow the boys rallied.

They got the ball down and mostly through Matt and Max, they took the game to the Eastwood side, and their reward came in the 35th minute when after some fine work from Rory and Nathan, BYFC won their first corner of the game. It was played into the back post for Kalum Ledicott to rise high and power an unstoppable header into the roof of the net.

The boys were right up for the battle now, and another two decent chances passed them by before Connor McLymont sent a great low drive into the bottom left from 20 yards out to make it 2-2 at half-time.

Eastwood showed why they are top of the league, in the second half freshening things up with their large squad and came at Bute again.

It was only a matter of time before they broke down the back three of Bute. Darren Law for Eastwood wad given time and space to turn in the box and his low drive beat Ryan in the bottom corner.

With only ten minutes to go Bute were caught on the break. After pushing for an equaliser, Eastwood played some good stuff and found their striker through, (if three yards offside), and allowed to score the decisive fourth. The score at full time was Eastwood 4-2 BYFC.

After the last month of uncertainty the Club has had, it made a massive difference last Saturday to play a team whose players and coaches did youth football proud. The team were all given hospitality and hand shakes as we left Eastwood.

Well done to man of the match Kalum. You deserved your goal and worked well for 90 minutes.

Next week’s game is at home to Beith Juniors, with a 10.30am.