Planning permission is being sought to renovate and extend the property which housed Bute’s last working country blacksmith’s shop.
Mr George Bryson, of Catrine in Ayrshire, is seeking the green light to renovate the cottage at Ettrick Smithy, to carry out alterations and extensions on the property’s outbuilding to create a sun room, and to erect a garage.
According to the official planning application, no internal change would be made to the smiddy itself under the proposed works.
The property - which is more than two hundred years old, and is believed to be one of the oldest surviving examples of the island’s rural heritage - was put up for sale by the Mount Stuart Trust in October 2014, with a guide price of £100,000.
The Trust opted to put the property on the market after deciding not to pursue a suggestion that it be turned into a museum.
The smiddy went out of business in 1949 and has been left unaltered and unused ever since - save for a single open day in September 2005, held under the auspices of Bute Vintage Club.
To view all the documents relating to the application, click here and type Ettrick in the search box - the current applications for planning permission and listed building consent will appear at the top of the list.