Is your property listed?

editorial image

People in conservation areas or listed buildings are being encouraged to check with the council before carrying out any changes to their property.

Argyll and Bute has a total of 32 designated conservation areas, including Rothesay.

Some small-scale developments do not need planning permission. However, if your home is listed, or is in one of the conversation areas, the chances are that you will require planning permission before making any alterations. Listed buildings will also need specific consent for any internal or external alterations if they affect the historic fabric of the building.

Policy lead for planning and regulatory services, Councillor David Kinniburgh, said: “Argyll and Bute is steeped in history and we are very proud of the beautiful towns and villages we have. Because of this, we have created a set of guidelines for businesses and home owners in our conservation areas and listed buildings, to provide them with useful information regarding making changes to their property.

“This has been done to protect our natural built heritage and historic landscape for future generations, and it is vital that people read this if they are considering making alterations to affected properties.”

For information on whether or not you need planning permission and see a map of the conservation areas visit