This week’s photograph, courtesy of Bute Museum’s archive, takes us back 81 years and pictures the members of the police force on Bute following a 1935 inspection by HM Inspector of Constabulary for Scotland.
The actual strength of Bute County Constabulary at this time was 18 - one inspector, four sergeants, and 13 constables.
Pictured are the following officers:
Standing, L-R: PCs W. MacAuslane, A. Galbraith, A. Miller, R. McKay, J. Lucas, A. Napier and G. Paterson.
Seated, L-R: PC L. Gibb, PSs P. McLaren, H. Dickinson, A. Gunn and A. MacKinnon; and PC Richardson.
Not pictured are Inspector J. McIntosh, PCs T. Steel, T. Skinner, W. Walker, and J. Duguid.
Bute County Constabulary was abolished by the Police (Scotland) Act of 1946, becoming part of the new Renfrew and Bute Constabulary, which itself was subsumed into Strathclyde Police in 1975.
Police services across Scotland were united into a single organisation, Police Scotland, in 2013.
Our grateful thanks to Bute Museum for supplying the photo and information.