Island charity For Bute is set to receive a funding boost of its own through the transfer of money held by a historic but dormant Rothesay trust.
The charity, which is based at its ‘thrift shop’ in Victoria Street, will receive the remaining funds held by the Norman Stewart Institute if members of Argyll and Bute Council give the green light.
The Institute, one of several charitable trusts now administered by the council, currently has funds of £1,598 and an annual income of £6 through interest on the sum deposited with Argyll and Bute Council.
If approved by councillors, the authority will apply to the Office of the Scottish Charitable Regulator (OSCR) to transfer all the funds to For Bute, which has donated more than £60,000 to good causes on the island since it was established in 2013.
The Norman Stewart Institute is better known in Rothesay not as a charitable trust but as the imposing building on the corner of High Street and Montague Street which housed the town’s library, along with rooms for meeting, reading, billiards and snooker.
Opened in July 1885, the building was declared unsafe in 1974 and later demolished; an open garden and performance space now stands on the site.