Rothesay man admits covering cell in excrement

A Rothesay man covered the walls of a police cell in excrement in protest at what he saw as the aggressive action of officers in arresting his nephew, the town’s sheriff court heard this week.

James Hassan (35), whose address was given as 10 Columshill Higher Terrace, was fined £320 after admitting the offence, which took place at Rothesay police office on August 7 after an incident in the town’s Meadows Road late the previous night.

His nephew, 24-year-old Michael Hassan, who gave his address as 11F Glebe Terrace, pleaded guilty to five charges relating to the original incident – throwing a jacket at a police officer; behaving in a threatening manner likely to cause fear and alarm by shouting, swearing and uttering abusive remarks and threats of violence to police; resisting arrest by repeatedly lashing out with his arms and legs; assaulting one police officer by attempting to head-butt him; and assaulting another officer by spitting blood on his body.

James Hassan also admitted shouting, swearing and uttering abusive remarks and threats of violence to police.

Fiscal depute Kevin Doherty said police had been called to a report of a disturbance in the area and, on arriving, found the Hassans with two other men and asked if they had been involved in the reported incident.

James Hassan’s agent, Lauren McGonigal, said her client’s actions were the result of his feeling that police were “being heavy handed” with his nephew.

Michael Hassan’s solicitor, Jim Hannay, said that while his client accepted he should not have reacted the way he did, he felt police “had used more force than was necessary to take him into custody”.

The court was also told the officers’ actions were the subject of a separate complaint which had yet to be resolved.

Sheriff Ruth Anderson deferred sentence on Michael Hassan until December 17 for background reports.

* Andrew Lauchlan (29), address given as 23 Westlands Road, Rothesay, pleaded guilty at the town’s sheriff court on Monday to stealing a bottle of Buckfast tonic wine from the Co-operative supermarket in Bridge Street on October 8.

Lauchlan also admitted assaulting a police officer by kicking him on the leg at the town’s police station on the same day, after being arrested on suspicion of shoplifting.

Both offences were committed while Lauchlan was on bail; sentence was deferred until December 17 for background reports.

* More detail on both these cases in this week’s issue of The Buteman - on sale from Thursday, November 15.