Pavilion charity answers Rothesay concert critic

Orkestra del Sol at Rothesay Pavilion on September 26, 2015.
Orkestra del Sol at Rothesay Pavilion on September 26, 2015.

The Rothesay Pavilion Charity’s development manager has responded to criticism of the building’s Closing Weekend Festival last month.

Stuart Thomas has written to The Buteman replying to a complaint from Rothesay resident Billy Sprowl, who told us earlier this month that the festival’s Saturday night concert on September 26, featuring Woodenbox and Orkestra Del Sol, was “deafening, “mind freezing” and that the two bands were “woefully out of touch”.

Mr Sprowl also complained that he had expected a night of “fond memories and nostalgia” looking back to the big bands of the Pavilion’s past.

Mr Thomas, in his reply, says an engineer did not get the sound balance quite right on the night of the gig - and that the Saturday concert was never advertised as the type of dance Mr Sprowl had been expecting.

“We feel that we did do what we could to communicate clearly what the event would be like,” Mr Thomas says.

“That said, Orkestra Del Sol did have two hundred people up dancing a polka and these people all looked as if they were having a very good time.

“This suggests that the band were very much in touch with the audience, and one that was very diverse in terms of age, gender, hairstyles and dress.”

* Read Mr Thomas’s letter in full in the October 23 issue of The Buteman - on sale now.