This week’s competitions started with the qualifying round of the Wednesday trophy played as you would suspect on Wednesday with the top eight scores going through to the knockout stage.
Top qualifier with a score of 72 less 7 net 65 was George Hanson and he will play Allan Smith who qualified on the count back in eighth place with a net 72.
Stan Gaston who qualified 2nd with a net 67 will take on Graham McArthur, Jim McAlister will play Kenny Thomson and Richard Dunn will play Shaun Kernaghan.
In Saturday’s Morris Humphreys Memorial trophy Graham McArthur continued his run of good form with a round of 2 over par 71 less 7 for a net 64. Graham’s front nine of 6 pars and 3 bogeys was followed by a back nine of 8 pars and 1 birdie at the 14th hole for a very solid round of golf.
Runner-up on Saturday was Neil Ritchie with a 73 less 7 net 66, and with a good entry of 41 players, Neil was also one of eight players to score a two.
* Sunday was the April Medal and first round of the Summer Cup although given the way the weather was with blustery showers, it felt more like the first round of the winter cup.
In division 1 Graham McArthur looked like he was going to make it two out of two when he returned a 72 less 6 net 66 but he was beaten by Iain Simpson with a 73 less 8 net 65.
Iain’s round was certainly eventful as it included one eagle 2 at the 5th, 3 birdies, a triple bogey 6 at the 13th hole, 6 bogeys and 7 pars.
In Division 2 John Glen was the winner with a 79 less 10 net 69, one ahead of Tommy Kilpatrick on 82 less 12 net 70.
Division 3 was won by Drew Pearson with a net 75, beating Captain Jim Torrance into second place with a net 76.
There were 4 twos scored on Sunday by three players with Graham McArthur getting a two at the 11th and the 13th, Alan Laughlan at the 11th and Iain Simpsons eagle two at the 5th.
The Committee would like to thank Stuart Strathie Ambrisbeg Ltd for sponsoring the April Medal.
* This Friday will see the start of the Visitors medals and if visitors wish to play in this competition the cost will be £5 which includes entry to the sweep.
* Saturday is the May Medal (2nd round Summer cup,1st round seniors) which is being sponsored by Jim Thomson (Mini Drivers)
* Sunday is the 1st round of the M & M trophy at Port Bannatyne, followed by the 2nd round on Wednesday, May 8 at Rothesay.
* Thursday, May 8, sees the start of our coaching sessions with George Reynolds and Stan Gaston.
Whether you need help with your game or are looking to start playing golf George and Stan will be happy to help you and you don’t need to be a member of Rothesay Golf Club to take advantage of their years of experience.
Sessions will run from 6.30-7.30pm.