The deadline for you to have your say on more than 140 ‘savings options’ contained in Argyll and Bute Council’s ‘Service Choices’ consultation is Thursday, December 31.
The savings options currently up for consultation include (but are not limited to):
* Reducing classroom assistants by 20 per cent in primary schools (losing the full-time equivalent [FTE] of eight posts and saving £137,000);
* Reducing classroom assistants by 20 per cent in secondary schools (6.6 FTE, saving £110,000);
* Reducing clerical assistants by 20 per cent in both primary and secondary schools (total 19.2 FTE, total saving £325,000);
* Reducing pupil support by 20 per cent in primary schools (3 FTE, saving £62,000);
* Reducing janitor costs by 20 per cent in both primary and secondary schools (total 10.6 FTE, total saving £192,000);
* Reducing educational psychology services by 7 per cent (0.6 FTE, saving £37,000);
* Reducing instrumental instructor provision by 20 per cent (2.6 FTE, saving £99,000);
* Removing attendance officer posts (4 FTE, saving £68,000);
* Removing secondary school librarians (10 FTE, saving £319,000);
* Withdrawing services the council is not required to provide for children under 5 (8 FTE, saving £382,000);
* Replacing all displays of bedding plants, rose bushes and shrubs with grass (6.5 FTE, saving £133,000);
* Creating a charitable trust to run the council’s libraries, leisure centres and community halls and transferring employees in those areas to the new organisation (saving £700,000);
* Reducing the opening hours of the ‘customer service point’ at Eaglesham House to 17.5 a week (0.5 FTE, saving £20,000);
* Removing all school crossing patrollers (13.5 FTE, saving £200,000);
* Closing 43 public toilets (7.6 FTE, saving £140,000).
To take part in the consultation process online, go to www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/planningourfuture by December 31 at the latest.