SSPCA investigate ‘deliberate’ poisoning of island dog

1
Have your say

INFORMATION is being sought by the SSPCA after a dog was poisoned three times in the space of a fortnight on Bute.

We previously reported in the February 28 edition of The Buteman that a dog at Lower Ettrick Farm had been taken to the local vet after it had ingested raw meat containing blue pellets, which was then reported to the police.

The Scottish Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals were contacted by local officers to invstigate, yet it seems the culprit has not been deterred, as the dog – a Jack Russell terrier cross named Dougie - has since been poisoned by what has now been confirmed as slug pellets, with the active ingredient of metaldehyde, on a further two occasions in the past fortnight.

Scottish SPCA Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn said, “Metaldehyde is commonly used as a pesticide against slugs and snails, but it is toxic to dogs and cats and should be used with caution.

“If ingested, symptoms include tremors, drooling and restlessness, which can lead to seizures and death within hours or days if treatment is not sought quickly.

“We believe that someone may be deliberately targeting Dougie, which is extremely concerning. It’s possible the pellets have been hidden in food.

“Thankfully, on all three occasions Dougie’s owner has acted quickly, but he could easily have come to severe harm or even died.

“Lines of enquiry have been followed but unfortunately we have been unable to identify the person responsible.

“We are now asking anyone with information to contact us as soon as possible. All calls are treated in strict confidence and can be made anonymously.”

Causing an animal unnecessary suffering is an offence and anyone found guilty of doing so can expect to be banned from owning animals for a fixed period or life.

Information can be reported to the Scottish SPCA Animal Helpline on 03000 999 999 or to local police on (01700) 894 000.