Port boats ‘blight’ removed from seafront

Following years of complaints from Port Bannatyne residents over boats and trailers parked on Port Bannatyne's seafront, the offending vessels were removed during the course of the weekend by their owners.

Following years of complaints from Port Bannatyne residents over boats and trailers parked on Port Bannatyne's seafront, the offending vessels were removed during the course of the weekend by their owners.

0
Have your say

Boats parked on Port Bannatyne’s seafront, seemingly abandoned, have been removed in what will undoubtedly be a welcome development for village residents.

At last week’s meeting of Bute Community Council, Bute’s police inspector, Ewan Wilson, said that the boats could be removed if they posed an environmental issue, but that Argyll and Bute Council would need to foot the bill for hauling them away.

On Tuesday, however, we discovered that every boat parked on the seafront had been removed.

Councillor Robert Macintyre told us that he had spoken with Inspector Wilson about villagers’ concerns, and following efforts from Inspector Wilson and the council’s Amenity Warden, Jim Ferguson, notices were served on the boats on Friday, July 17, warning that if they weren’t removed within seven days, the council had the power to seize them.

One village resident, who asked not to be named, said they were delighted that the council had taken action in finally removing the boats, and had done so so efficiently.