A ROTHESAY man who was seen brandishing a meat cleaver at the front door of a flat in the town was given a 145-day prison sentence when he appeared in court on Monday.
Thirty-five year-old James Hassan pleaded guilty to having the cleaver in his possession outside the flat in the town’s High Street.
Hassan, of 10 Columshill Higher Terrace, also admitted assaulting the flat’s occupant by pushing and punching him after an argument broke out in the early hours of August 11.
Jim Hannay, Hassan’s solicitor, told the court his client had only picked up the meat cleaver because he didn’t want the other man to get hold of it.
Hassan, Mr Hannay said, had taken the item away when he left the house, and only went back later to return it through the letter box.
* Also at Rothesay Sheriff Court on Monday, local man Kenneth McKenzie was banned from driving for 16 months and fined £450 after admitting drink-driving in the town’s Bridgend Street on March 4.
McKenzie (33), whose address was given as 3 Blain Terrace, supplied a breath sample with 86 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath, almost two and a half times the legal limit.
But he was told his ban would be reduced to 12 months if he could successfully complete the Vernon Mansfield Course, a drink-driving rehabilitation programme.
* Calum Hatton (19), of 8 Columshill Terrace, was admonished and dismissed on Monday after admitting conducting himself in a disorderly manner, repeatedly shouting and swearing, throwing a glass bottle against a wall, challenging his former girlfriend’s partner to fight and committing a breach of the peace outside his ex-partner’s home in the town’s Church Lane on July 8.
* James Burke (49), of 4 Colbeck Place, Rothesay, was fined £165 and had six penalty points put on his licence for causing or permitting another person to use a motor vehicle in the town’s Barone Road on June 15 without having appropriate insurance in place.
* Patricia McDonald (63), of 43 Argyle Place, Rothesay, was fined £70 on Monday and had three penalty points put on her licence for failing to stop at a red light in Victoria Street on March 14.
* More on these stories in the new issue of The Buteman - on sale from Thursday, September 13.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Rothesay
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: South west
Temperature: 7 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: South