‘I won’t leave ruling group,’ says Bute councillor

Robert Macintyre says he has no plans to leave Argyll and Bute Council's ruling administration.
Robert Macintyre says he has no plans to leave Argyll and Bute Council's ruling administration.

Bute councillor Robert Macintyre says he won’t be resigning from Argyll and Bute Council’s ruling administration - despite harbouring significant concerns about the authority’s ‘Service Choices’ cuts proposals and the public consultation on them.

Two members of the administration’s Argyll First grouping, of which Cllr Macintyre is a member, left the ruling group last week in protest at the council’s approach to bridging a budget gap of up to £27 million - but Cllr Macintyre told The Buteman he wouldn’t be following in Donald Kelly and Dougie Philand’s footsteps.

“Like many people, I have grave concerns about some of the cuts which have been suggested,” Cllr Macintyre said.

“But if you’re in opposition you have no chance of influencing the council leader’s thoughts on these 146 proposals.”

* Full story in the November 6 edition of The Buteman - on sale now.