DCSIMG

Poisonous plant warning to Bute dog owners

Hemlock water dropwort, the poisonous plant which caused the death of one dog and the illness of a second on the shore at Cardross near Helensburgh on January 7.

Hemlock water dropwort, the poisonous plant which caused the death of one dog and the illness of a second on the shore at Cardross near Helensburgh on January 7.

 

Walkers and dog owners on Bute have been warned to be on the lookout for poisonous plants on the island’s shoreline after one dog died and another fell ill near Helensburgh this week.

The animals ate quantities of hemlock water dropwort, which looks roughly similar to a parsnip, while out walking on the Cardross shore on Tuesday.

It is thought the plant was exposed after recent stormy weather in the area, and dog owners throughout Argyll and Bute have been asked to be vigilant in case other beaches in the area have been similarly affected.

Argyll and Bute Council issued the following statement on the subject.

“Argyll and Bute Council’s environmental health team has asked the public to look out for the plant on the area’s shorelines, after stormy weather exposed the tubers, which are normally below ground. The plant may be poisonous if eaten.

“The council is advising the public to be vigilant whilst out walking their dogs and to be aware poisonous plants do grow wild in the UK. Do not touch or allow children or pets to come into contact with any plant growing wild you are unsure about.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page