Jellyfish warning for Bute dog walkers

A large shoal of jellyfish on the beach at Scalpsie Bay. (Pic - Doug MacDonald)
A large shoal of jellyfish on the beach at Scalpsie Bay. (Pic - Doug MacDonald)

Bute’s dog owners have been warned to take care if walking their pets on one of the island’s most popular beaches.

Buteman reader Doug MacDonald told us he’d had to take three dogs to the vet on Sunday after they were stung by a massive shoal of jellyfish at Scalpsie Bay, on the island’s west coast.

Bute and Cowal Vets gave this advice on their Facebook page:

“Dogs are often worst affected when they have trodden on a jellyfish and then try to lick their stinging paws clean. They will often become distressed, paw at their mouth, gulp, snort, cough or vomit. If they are showing signs of distress, please contact a vet as soon as possible.

“If you think your dog may have trodden on jellyfish, but hasn’t licked his paws yet, gently wash the feet and legs in seawater, warm salt water, or warm water with a touch of vinegar. If possible wear gloves to avoid getting stung yourself!”