Delays in the transformation of a public garden space in Rothesay have been slammed after it was revealed the work won’t begin for another two weeks.
Bute Community Council was told on Wednesday night that work on the 10-week revamp of the gardens on the corner of Montague Street and High Street had been delayed again - this time because of the need to appoint someone to oversee health and safety at the site.
The latest delay means work on the site will not get under way until after the project’s original Easter competion date.
BCC member Donnie MacLeod said he had been given the latest update after meeting Joe McCabe, from Argyll and Bute Council’s local roads and amenity services department, at the gardens on Monday.
“There was no contractor on site,” Mr MacLeod told BCC’s March meeting.
“Joe phoned the contractor, and the information he got was that the project requires a ‘CDM co-ordinator’ to oversee health and safety, so it’s going to be delayed for another two weeks.
“I said that was ridiculous. Everybody knows health and and safety is part of any project these days.
“The job should be starting in two weeks, but the work was supposed to be finished by now.”
The gardens are being transformed at a cost of £100,000 using money originally set aside in Argyll and Bute Council’s 2012-13 budget to refurbish toilet facilities at the public park in Rothesay’s High Street.