Council ‘has no school closure plans’

editorial image

The long-term future of North Bute Primary in Port Bannatyne appears more secure this week than for several years after two senior councillors paid visits to the school.

Council leader Dick Walsh and education spokesperson Aileen Morton were shown around the school last week and had the chance to meet pupils, staff and members of the parent council.

And Councillor Walsh has this week confirmed to The Buteman what he told staff and parents during his visit: that school closure plans are not on the agenda of the council’s new administration.

“I enjoyed my visit to North Bute Primary School,” Cllr Walsh said, “and appreciate the support and pro-active efforts of the parent council in making improvements to the school properties.

“The council will consider further the investment needs to the condition and suitability of the school buildings.

“The administration has no plans for a school closure programme during the remaining term of this council.”

* Read more in this week’s Buteman - on sale on Thursday.