Argyll and Bute cuts ‘put one in seven staff under threat’

One in seven of Argyll and Bute Council’s employees will feel their jobs are under threat from the authority’s proposed budget cuts, according to one of Bute’s councillors.

Ninety-three full-time equivalent (FTE) posts will go if a programme of ‘savings proposals’ to be considered at the council’s annual budget meeting on February 14, is approved in full.

But Bute independent councillor Len Scoullar has told The Buteman that 670 staff will feel their jobs are not secure as a result of the proposals, because of the departments in which the heaviest cuts are proposed.

“Due to the detail in the papers, which we were given only last week, I am still working through them trying to find better, more acceptable, solutions,” Cllr Scoullar said.

“However, my early thoughts are that the ‘innovative budget proposals’ the administration promised us in relation to the next seven years are certainly not readily seen.

“Instead what I see is doom and gloom which seems to mean nearly a hundred council posts are under threat, and that 670 people will therefore feel very uncertain about their jobs.

“That will mean an inevitable decimation of council services. It must be very disheartening to be a council employee trying to plan your future with that threat hanging over you.”

The council’s 36 members meet on February 14 to decide their 2013-14 budget and council tax rate.

* More on this story in this week’s issue of The Buteman - on sale from Thursday, January 31.