Recreational land used as a work site by contractors on a Scottish Water improvement programme on Bute is still not safe for the public - a year and a half after the project was completed.
So said Bute Community Council chair Grace Strong this week, while labelling the state of Ardbeg Point “an absolute disgrace”.
BCC’s May meeting this week heard a claim from Miss Strong, who lives near the site, that children had been seen playing “up to their thighs” in puddles on the site after recent heavy rain, and “could have been submerged” if they fell.
“I’m nearly giving up in despair,” Miss Strong said. “We’ve got it in writing that the site would be put back to the way it was before the work started.”
The publicly-owned Ardbeg Point site was used as a site HQ by George Leslie, the contractors working for Scottish Water on a scheme to connect homes in Ardbeg and Port Bannatyne to the Rothesay sewerage network, in 2011.
Local Argyll and Bute councillor Robert Macintyre said he “completely agreed” with Miss Strong’s assessment of the condition of the site.
“There was work carried out on the site two or three weeks ago, when new drains were installed,” Cllr Macintyre said, “but I understand the local contractor who did the work wasn’t happy with what he was told to do.”
A site meeting involving officials from Argyll and Bute Council, Scottish Water and George Leslie was due to take place on Monday, May 20, but has now been postponed until early June.