RESIDENTS of Ardbeg are growing increasingly angry at the lack of progress in landscaping a recreational space dug up last year during sewerage works in the area.
The land at Ardbeg Point was used as a base for machinery and portable offices by contractor George Leslie during the nine-month Scottish Water project to connect Ardbeg and Port Bannatyne to the Rothesay sewerage network.
But despite repeated promises that the area would be returned to its original condition after the completion of the work, more than four months have now passed without any sign of landscaping being carried out.
Two Ardbeg residents have contacted The Buteman this week to express their frustration at the absence of progress in returning the land to its previously pristine condition.
Eleanor Black said the firm had “displayed a complete lack of courtesy” with regard to their pledge to leave Ardbeg Point as they found it, and accused the company of showing “a complete disregard for the safety and welfare of residents and visitors alike”.
“To me, George Leslie has not only been discourteous but downright criminal in their neglect and disregard for the safety of the people from whose area they presumably made considerable profits,” Ms Black told The Buteman in a letter to this week’s issue.
“This firm should be taken to task by whoever has the authority to do so.”
Another Ardbeg resident, John Chapman, said he had “seen nothing nor heard anything that leads me to believe anything is happening or being done about this”.
Mr Chapman, in another contribution to our letters page, said: “I remember back at the beginning solemn promises and commitments were made about this area, yet nothing is being done to fulfil those promises nor for that matter enforce the contractual obligations which one would like to think our council had the forethought to impose.
“Something needs to be done for future generations, for left as it is now it will soon become covered in rough moorland vegetation, un-mowable and more or less unusable.”
Scottish Water’s project manager, Eddie Burns, told The Buteman that landscapers are due to start two to three days of work on screening and reinstating both Ardbeg Point and the public park in Port Bannatyne on Tuesday, April 24, and that fencing at the two sites would “most likely remain until a suitable grass establishment is visible”.